In addition to co-directing the family's restaurants, Foundation President Louis Barrios' has focused his attention on service to the community. His steadfast commitment to San Antonio has garnered significant awards and recognition including:
• H.H. Hugman Award from the San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau
• Paul Goetz Free Enterprise Award from St. Mary's University
• Finalist Entrepreneur of the Year from Ernst & Young
• 40 Under-40 Rising Stars from the San Antonio Business Journal
• Restaurateur of the Year from the San Antonio Restaurant Association
• Small Business Leader of the Year from the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
• North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce Pride in Progress Award in the area of Employee Relations
His current community leadership positions include:
• San Antonio Chamber of Commerce Executive Board Director
• Convention & Visitors Bureau Commissioner
• San Antonio Tourism Council Director
• San Antonio Restaurant Association Director
But the achievement that has given him the most satisfaction is the full four-year, tuition-paid scholarship to Incarnate Word High School awarded by the Foundation to a student with impressive potential and limited financial resources.
"The Foundation's goal is to help individuals, mostly women, who want to help themselves," Louis said. "I would say that I'm thrilled this legacy from my mother is a living legacy and that a promising young person has been able to benefit from this tragedy that has happened to my family. It speaks to that Mexican proverb that something good always comes out of something bad."